Sanskrit is one of the most important languages of the Indo-European family and has a very rich and continuous history of nearly 5,000 years. As a result of the patient and laborious comparative study of the various languages like Sanskrit, Old Persian, Greek, Latin, German and English in the beginning of the 19th century, it has been shown by the scholars that all these can be traced back to a common source, which is termed as Proto-Indo-European. Sanskrit is universally recognized as the language containing the earliest literature in the world; one or two other languages may contain some earlier inscriptions, but not a whole literature. Sanskrit is for spiritual upliftment and a mode of Hindu survival. It is also the best language for computer science as per NASA being used as Computer language. Moreover, Sanskrit is recognized as ‘Mother’ of all languages and also classical language of India, which is interlinked with Indo-Aryans and Davidians as well.
So far, Sanskrit Education is concerned in Sikkim, the first Sanskrit Pathsala was established by His Majesty, the Maharaja of Sikkim, late P.T. Namgyal at Lingmoo (South) Sikkim in 1964 in his personal interest. It was after 1975 that many Sanskrit Pathsalas have been established in Sikkim. Further, it may be noted here that under the visionary and dynamic leadership of ShriPawanChamling, Hon’ble Chief Minister of Sikkim, a Govt. Sanskrit College was setup in 1997. Since then, it has been affiliated to Sampurnananda,Sanskrit University, Varanasi, U.P.
The College has altogether 64 Rooms in RCC buildings with sufficient accomodation for both Academic and Administrative blocks.Further, the residential hostel is being planned. Altogethe, the College has 18 acres registered land in its name under HRDD, Government of Sikkim. The entire compound is well planned with beautiful gardens, a statue of Adhi Kabi Bhanu Bhakta has been installed and Lush green scenic beauties facing towards Mount Khanchendzonga, “The guardian deity of Sikkim”. Furthermore, the college has its play ground and sufficient toilet facilities.
The college has a well equipped library having 800 books. The books per child is 17 nos however, we need new editions and journal including course books. The books avialable in the library are for Sahitya, Vyakaran, Jyotish, Astrologocal calculations, Dharmasastra, Dictionary, Nitisastra, Kamsutrum, Grahasanti vidi and Karmakanda, Darshansastra, Nepali, Hindi English, Vedas, Puranitihas, CharakSanhita, Naya and itihas etc.
NAAC Peer team visit:
The two day long NAAC Peer team visit from 17-18/02/2019 has been concluded with good remark. The three member NAAC peer team comprised of the following:-
- Chairmen –Dr. Prof Yogesh Chandra Dubay, Vice Chancellor,Jagatguru Rambhadracharya Handicapped University,Chitrakot UP.
- Member Coordinator- Dr. Kiran Hajarika, Principal, Tengakhat College, Dibrugarh, Assam
- Member- Mr Ravikumar KR, Ex Director, Commissioner of Collegiate Education, Karnataka.
All members reached here in Sikkim(Gangtok) on 16th February 2019 and start their visit of Government Sanskrit Mahavidyalaya Samdong on 17th and 18th February 2019. As per the Peer team observation and remarks on college is satisfactory. After completion of their two days visit they return back with positive comments by which the college fraternity has inspired and busted to make more progress the all round development of the institution.
Our main objectives are:
• To establish as a National and International Centre of study, teaching and research in Sanskrit benefiting to the state, neighbouring states, Nepal, Bhutan including some of the Asian countries.
• Collaboration at the national and international level.
• Teachers’ and students’ exchange programme.
• To co-ordinate in between the oriental and occidental thoughts along with preserving the ancient and enriched traditions.
• To provide the traditional method of study, teaching etc. in Sanskrit language and the subjects connected with them on the ancient lines.
• To provide evaluate the Indian culture, the base language of which was Sanskrit, and other old and new languages of Asia related thereto.
• To study and do research works in the comparative critical study of Indian culture and other cultures so that it may be co-ordinated with the human culture.
• To produce new and talented scholars well versed in the knowledge of traditional Sanskrit with thorough knowledge of modern thoughts, and to make them capable of carrying on comparative study on modern lines.
• To expand, spread and develop the Sanskrit language and the Indian culture in all directions.
• To collect and publish rare Sanskrit books and to revise, edit and publish important Sanskrit manuscripts in book form.
Further, it may be noted here that there are 08 Universities having departments of Sanskrit in India. In the North-East there is one and only Sanskrit University in Assam i.e. Kumar BhaskarVarma Sanskrit and Ancient Studies University (Nalbari, Assam). Keeping in view the significance of Sanskrit language in higher learning, the visionary leader, Hon’ble Chief Minister of Sikkim has recently declared Sikkim Sanskrit University in the state to be established with an objective to promote, preserve traditions, customs and equipping the learners to get on with the business of life in a meaningful way hand in hand with inculcating in them the warmth of the great paths and further promoting various researches in their specific areas at the level of Post Graduation, M. Phil, Phd. and Post Doctoral Degrees etc. The inner beauty of these new establishments may be highly appreciated towards preservation , promotion and conservation of value based education in the society being very futuristic vision of the Hon’ble Chief Minister of Sikkim.
College is celebrating various program in College such as Janai Purnima, Bhasa Maniyata Dewas , Janmasthami (Birth of Lord Krishna ) Hindi Diwas including Cultural, Sports and NSS activities etc..
Janai Purnima a one of the traditional and holy festival of Hindu Celebrated on 15th of August Along with the Celebration of Independent day by hosting of our National Flag.
Bhasa Manayata Dewas
Bhasa Manayata Dewas was celebrated on 20th August in the college auditorium. The beginning of the program was started with the offering of gar-lent to the statue of Adi Kabi Bhanu Bhakta by our Chef Guest Shri Pravin Rai ‘jumeli’ . Even the Sibling of sami was planted for the good will of the future of the college.
Student Representative Council of our College organized literary and cultural programs. The following events were organized in colorful manner.
- Debit between Govt.Sanskrit College Samdong and NBBDC Tadong.
- Quiz competition between Makha SSS ,Samdong SSS , Dikchu SSS and Secondary Section of SMV.
- Poem Competition between Makha SSS ,Samdong SSS , Dikchu SSS and Secondary Section of SMV.
- Poem Competition between SMV(Sanskrit Mahavidayala ,Samdong ) and NBBDC Tadong.
- Cultural Programme.
On 23th August Sibling of different trees like cherry, Pine etc. Were planted around the College Campus With the collaboration with SBI (State Bank of India) .Branch Manager of SBI Samdong branch Mrs. Lama interact with staff and student of SMV regarding the banking System.
2nd October 2019
College observed Fit and run and Plastic free campaign in and around the colleges.